Cloud App Development: 2023 Special Guide
Cloud-based apps are believed to dominate the world in the context of digital transformation. According to Cisco, more than 94% of the workload and computing processes are hosted in the cloud. The cloud approach is also becoming extremely popular among business owners due to its scalability, enhanced productivity, traffic cost reduction, and lower equipment cost. Over 47% of businesses stated potential budget savings as the main reason for their cloud migration.
Why not try cloud app development instead of working with web and desktop solutions? Check out the main differences between web and cloud-based app development and find out if there are any cloud tech pitfalls.
What is a Cloud-Based App?
Cloud-based applications are Internet-run programs with components stored online with processes executed in the cloud. With cloud apps development, it’s possible to store all the data on the device, to work with the specific web app in an offline mode with an opportunity to be automatically updated when you will be online again. Such services let the companies employ the needed resources, and space for storing data without maintaining the infrastructure themselves.
The cloud technologies area has experienced enormous investment in the past decade. In 2018, the global cloud solutions market size was estimated at $272 billion and it is projected to reach over $623 billion by the end of 2023.
Benefits of a Cloud-Based Application
Cloud technology serves 60% of businesses worldwide to store private data. Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the main cloud platform for about 80% of companies, and Microsoft Azure is used by 67% of companies according to Statista. Cloud app development has a range of advantages that help businesses to achieve key goals.
- Cost efficiency. With cloud-based development, you won’t have to pay for the unnecessary cloud space or a feature set because most cloud services can be charged as long as they are used.
- High scalability. The cloud-based application development will give you the required scalability, which enables you to regularly manage a larger number of consumers and results in a greater profit margin for the company.
- Reliability. With cloud app development, users will experience a faster and more reliable service. A good idea is at least to backup data and operations with private cloud storage.
- Security. Up to 66% of Tech specialists treat security as the most significant concern in adopting cloud computing. Strong data encryption, SSL, and reverse proxy usage will help you to raise the security level of your cloud-based web app and reduce the risk of physical IT infrastructure failure.
Types of Cloud Based Application Services
There are three common cloud computing types:
- Private cloud. Such a cloud service functions as a private web system with data, users, and application space. They are applied with no public access, just by one company. Private clouds are extremely secure. They are mostly used by companies that handle sensitive data or want increased control over their IT environment.
- Public cloud. Public clouds are maintained by a third-party cloud provider operated on a pay-as-you-go basis. Data is accessible via any gadget. Multiple companies share the IT resources and scale their use in response to business needs.
- Hybrid cloud. These services are represented as private and public clouds combined. With a hybrid cloud solution, IT companies can distribute data among the on-device services and third-party applications, finding additional options for optimization and app deployment. Most companies consider hybrid clouds as the perfect IT model.
Before searching for a cloud app development partner, go through three main types of cloud computing services too. They are: IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS.
Software as a Service (SaaS)
Examples—Google Drive, Google Docs, Microsoft Office 365, Salesforce, Slack, and Zoom
Most of the cloud apps are SaaS, accounting for 63.6% of total cloud services revenue in 2019. These apps are run on third-party hardware, and their software is also hosted remotely. The major benefit of SaaS usage is that customers do not have to spend money on expensive hardware or buy licenses for each software update.
SaaS cloud applications can be a perfect solution for businesses or individuals who would like to avoid the responsibility of maintaining infrastructure, platforms, and software, have challenges that require minimal customization to solve, and provide software subscription models.
Intelvision provides SaaS development services, helping our clients to overcome common software challenges, integrate 3d party services, create a SaaS product from scratch, and enable SaaS consulting or cloud hosting migration services.
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
Examples—Apache Stratos, Google App Engine, and OpenShift
PaaS global providers allow customers to use their hardware, storage, and basic ready-made solutions. Developers can use only the latest version of the software. The key benefits of the PaaS model are cost-efficiency and flexibility of a customer’s product.
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
Examples—Google Compute Engine, Amazon Web Services, and Microsoft Azure
The IaaS owner provides the hardware, networking, hard drives, storage, servers, and further support, and the customer has to create a custom programming bridge between the app and its operating system. The approach helps companies to build customized digital products without developing their basic components from zero.
Examples of Cloud Application
You may not realize it, but a lot of the services you use regularly are powered by cloud computing. We’ve prepared a several widely used cloud-based apps:
- Miro: the app helps to visualize and structure information in real-time: here you can make illustrations and infographics, add documents and make notes, and work with other users in several creative ways.
- Figma: a powerful cloud-based online editor that allows you to create prototypes of websites and app interfaces in a team. Figma is used by designers, digital marketers, product managers, and web developers.
- Netflix: it is the most influential streaming service, popular not only in the US but throughout the world. The company has over 208 million paid subscribers in 190 countries. Streaming service gives you instant access to millions of movies and TV shows.
- Spotify: the most popular music streaming service that connects you to your favorite music and podcasts on demand.
As you could notice, cloud app development has resulted in amazing tools and services used by millions of people around the world today. Do you have an idea for a project, but lack the expertise, development tools, and understanding of how to implement it from scratch? Intelvision cloud application developers will help you create an innovative digital product in the shortest possible time without losing quality!
Challenges of Cloud-based app Development
Cloud-based application development is a technically demanding thing. When deciding to use such solutions, you should know about all the hidden pitfalls to understand how to organize app development using cloud computing appropriately for your company.
Cloud apps are dependent on the internet. However, you should consider designing your application so that users can work offline in case of a lost connection.
Make sure you understand the features you need to keep your data secure, and that the cloud service provider can give you the necessary level of security.
Cloud apps have to be able to function well across different devices and platforms and interact with app’s data stored in clouds from different providers, making interoperability a big deal for cloud app developers.
Performance and Scalability
Make sure that you have enough cloud servers to ensure consistent loading speed and that you can effectively scale your resources to maintain performance during high-traffic periods.
Tools to Build Cloud-Based Apps
The tech stack is the main question you need to consider before starting to develop a cloud-based solution. The wrong tech approach can slow down your business growth, lead to poor web performance, and cause valuable data losses.
Our 24/7 advice is to choose a cloud application development vendor from the market leaders. In 2019, Amazon Web Services (AWS) was the leading provider, it obtained a 32% market share. The nearest AWS competitor is Google Cloud Platform which is flexible and affordable for startups. Microsoft Azure is one more service provider you could search for. Its solutions were designed mainly for enterprises with prominent scaling plans and several web products.
During the cloud-based applications development process we also use technologies such as .NET, Angular, WordPress, Node js, React, and Xamarin. A set of technologies and tools is selected on an individual basis, depending on your requirements and expectations from the future digital product, the niche where you operate, and other business features.
Components of Cloud-Based App Architecture
Let’s get into the details of the architecture needed to support cloud apps. There are several ways to build your cloud based application architecture, but they all involve the same basic components. Important info: in the article, our software development company has prepared only a few components. This list is not complete.
- Services: this is where the app’s calculations are performed and user requests are executed. Cloud applications use APIs to connect components, pull data, and perform requests from users.
- Storage: with the cloud, you can store your data in multiple locations across different clouds. It will help increase flexibility and performance.
- Data management and communication logic: you need to manage how your data is organized and optimize communication between your data storage and your services.
The last (but not least) component is security. Keep in mind that niches such as banking, healthcare, and retail have their standards such as data encryption and implementing data access controls, that keep your system secure and prevent data loss. Developing cloud-based applications, think of potential vulnerabilities of your cloud-based solutions, to make your products secure and provide a positive user experience.
How to Build a Cloud Based Application
Cloud application development services vary from web development or mobile development services to boost performance, cut down on time to market, and become more flexible. However, there is a set of golden rules that you should be guided by before developing cloud applications or searching for a reliable cloud app development company. We’ve prepared the step-by-step development process.
Market and requirements analysis
First, analyze market requirements for mobile apps or the web ones to understand what applications can be transferred to clouds. While researching, pay attention to the goals of your business and conduct market research to understand your future users’ “pain points”. You can also research competitors of the chosen domain, feature sets, and business models to determine the product requirements and create a unique product that meets your target audience’s needs.
Thinking out the architecture and features
To build a cloud application efficiently, you should think out the aspects such as app architecture (advanced one, or microservices architecture, and classic solutions, or monolithic architecture), service model (SaaS, PaaS, or IaaS), and cloud migration (as Azure or AWS). We recommend you to discuss it with the vendor’s experts, who will offer the best alternatives matching your company.
Designing the app
At this stage of building cloud applications, the designers will prepare a user-friendly interface, facilitating end users’ interaction with the system. As a client, you’ll be able to check out the changes and preparations on the visual board in real-time, comment on them, or offer improvements.
Product development and testing
The cloud app developers start building a top-notch digital product from scratch according to your requirements. To prevent problems, the development team will also test the application before releasing it. It is highly recommended to collaborate with a chosen vendor at all the cloud applications development steps.
Application deployment and placing in online stores
The final step in cloud-based application development is the app’s deployment. The finished digital product can be published on the App Store (for iOS) and Google Play (for Android mobile apps). For placing your app in an online store, make sure the app follows App Store or Google Play guidelines. Keep in mind that your cloud-based application will be approved or declined in 2–3 days.
Intelvision is the cloud-based application development company of specialists from Ukraine in building scalable cloud solutions with DevOps and DevSecOps best practices. We are ready to implement your ideas with cloud application development now and let your business grow tomorrow, so be sure to contact us for a detailed consultation.
How Intelvision Can Help with Cloud-based Application Development
Thanks to application development services, it is possible for all sorts and sizes of businesses to build cloud apps. At Intelvision, we have been providing cloud application development services for companies throughout different industries, always helping our clients understand how to use cloud solutions to maximize their business goals. Through our best practices and digital tools, we can help you with your cloud application development project, building a unique and competitive IT solution as soon as possible without loss of quality.
How do cloud-based applications work?
A cloud-based application relies on a remote server for processing logic that is accessed through a web browser with a continual internet connection.
What are the types of cloud computing?
There are three different types of cloud computing: a public cloud, a private one, and a hybrid cloud. Most cloud services also fall into four broad categories: infrastructure as a service (IaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), serverless, and software as a service (SaaS).
Cloud services give companies lots of benefits such as development cost reduction, higher accessibility of the final digital product, scaling opportunities, etc. At the same time, cloud application development is more complicated than web or desktop development, as it involves more aspects to handle: API integrations, data architecture planning, data decoupling, and more.
That is why we advise you to choose a partner carefully and rely on companies with a good reputation. In 2023, try cloud application development solutions from Intelvision! Contact us to schedule a meeting, estimate your future project and push forward your ideas.